During the period covered, Rome was often fighting several wars simultaneously.
The major wars are covered in some details,
while the other conflicts are summarised more briefly:
- Jugurthan War 110-105 BC
- war in Numidia against King Jugurtha
- Cimbric Wars 110-101 BC - war against
a confederation of German and Gallic tribes, led by the Cimbri,
mostly fought in Transalpine Gaul
- Italian War - war within Italy
against Rome's former allies, including the Marsi and the Samnites
- The Civil War - war between two rival factions
within the Roman ruling classes
- Mithridatic Wars - war against
King Mithridates of Pontus, fought in Greece and Asia Minor
The section on Other Wars summarises minor conflicts before
and during the period.